Sorry we’re slightly late to the party on this year’s first blog post, but here goes any way. It’s the start of a New Year, and we’re hoping for new beginnings, fresh starts and all-round positivity for 2019. The New Year ahead of us means two exciting things; new goals and new opportunities!
Many of us come up with personal new year’s resolutions, but have you ever come up with a work resolution? We spend just as much time at work as we do at home, so it’s important that we set career goals for the year ahead, so you have something to work towards at work too!
If you need some inspiration on the types of work resolutions that we come up with, here’s a list of some exciting goals that you could achieve this year!
- Take a course in your area of expertise; keep up to date on new subjects within your field and enhance your knowledge
- Introduce yourself to new co-workers, sometimes we see people around the office every day but you don’t know who they are and what they do. Introduce yourself and you might meet someone inspiring or learn something new from them
- Get a new work wardrobe and ‘dress the part!’ It’s surprising how much the way you look and feel about yourself can improve your attitude
- Arrive 10 minutes early; you’ll be surprised by how much getting a small head start every day can set you off on the right foot and how efficient those 10 minutes a day can become
CFS Events main new years resolutions for 2019 are to have more confidence in our ideas & decisions and to do some pro-bono work
With these things in mind it’s important to have a positive, optimistic, confident and strong state-of-mind to keep things as positive and successful for 2019. In order to do this, first and foremost make sure that you reflect on the previous year and look at ‘attitude adjustment’ – did these kinds of phrases run through your mind at any point last year?
- I can’t do this
- I’m unsure if I can do this
- I don’t feel motivated enough
- It’s too hard
- I haven’t got enough time
If you recognise any of these thoughts, then here’s some ideas to help you improve your positive mental attitude (PMA) for 2019;
- Work out what your goals are for the year ahead, what would you like to achieve and what will be important to you when reflecting on your actions at the end of the year? Be very specific about this and detail how it will impact on your life
- Reflecting on those negative comments above, what could help you overcome having those thoughts again and strengthen your state of mind?
- Think of a selection of positive phrases which will help uplift you when you’re feeling negative
- Make a note of those phrases and have them in an accessible and visible place – your phone, desk, laptop background or bedside table and read them daily to keep those positive thoughts in your mind
If you found this content useful, have some feedback or have a suggestion for future blog posts, we would love to hear from you, drop me a line at email@example.com.